Wednesday, October 2, 2019

FanArt_ink.Mindless


Thoughtlessly stumbling into MTGinktober Day Two is "Mindless," starring Dreadhorde Arcanist and Eternal Kefnet.


This one is a bit of a layered gag. I wanted to depict mindless gameplay, so burn was the first thing that comes to mind, of course, but I also feel a nice little twist is treating countermagic the same--it can absolutely feel rote just slamming counters turn after turn.


So then the next step in my thinking was figuring out who would be playing each style. A traditional red and blue planeswalker pair was a little too on-the-nose, and I was interested in featuring mindless zombies, so I looked up some blue and red ones, and ended up with what we ended up with. I was a little iffy on using a non-legendary for our red creature, but there was no red War of the Spark counterpart to pair with Kefnet, and Dreadhorde Arcanist is a pretty notable current card, so it all checked out.


Fun Facts: I was originally thinking of doing a straightforward zombie piece for Gisa or something, but that just felt a little too easy.

Easter Eggs: The little guy suffering through this nonsense is the poor djinn from Mind Rot (DTK version), perhaps my favorite Mind Rot.


Also, every Inktober, I inevitably cannibalize old sketchbooks, and this year's looking like it'll clear out this old one pretty well. Before drawing today's piece, the above page of warm-ups related to a canceled project is what filled its place. These were concepts for our toothbrush-wielding hero.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: