Tuesday, October 22, 2019

FanArt_ink.Ghost


MTGinktober gleams into Day 22, "Ghost," starring Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit!


I have been eager to draw Shirei, one of my favorite legends from back in the day, back when I really started playing Magic past the kitchen table, and this one coulda been his moment, but instead, I went with a more traditional ghost in Anafenza, since it felt a little cheaty to go with a kami-style Spirit, rather than a dead-person Spirit. Well, I'm vaguely familiar with the story behind her becoming a Spirit--she got executed, if I recall, and she got planted or associated with the kin-tree depicted behind her...or something.


Fun Facts: I had a serious crunch yesterday, so I really had to churn this one out, and my internet froze just as I started the research phase of this illustration, so I basically just had this one Anafenza image to work from, and had to improvise everything else. I hate drawing without research, it just feels like fighting with an arm tied behind your back. Anyway, couldn't research anything beyond what I had on me, plus limited time meant this is as good as we could get it. Note she's kinda flying here despite not having that ability. Again, the cost of research limitations.


Easter Eggs: I often hide my name in tree trunks, and this illustration employs the same old trick. You can also see some Abzan houses in the background. The last-minute, phantomy, negative-space warps are a slight nod to my very first MTGinktober piece, though hopefully this treatment is unique enough itself, but it, like the Dutch angle, was mainly to add more visual action to an otherwise pretty static piece.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: