Monday, October 21, 2019

FanArt_ink.Treasure


MTGinktober gleams into Day 21, "Treasure," starring Vraska, Scheming Gorgon!


Man, the exhaustion and hunger and overall deprivation is starting to catch up with me, this is the first one where we had to post a pencil teaser before posting inks. But I was reasonably happy with how this was coming out, so I wasn't feeling my normal rage at missing a deadline. Although in a twist, or should I say, in an all too familiar turn of events, the rough preview is getting all the juice I'd prefer a final to get.


I was initially thinking of Kiora diving for treasure, but that felt too similar to out first gag with her, so I thought I'd give Vraska another go, this time playing up her piratey incarnation, rather than her "gorgon" mode. I was dreading having to deal with all those scaly tendrils--not to mention gold doubloons--but I feel like I found a workaround utilizing stylization and negative space, something I'm always trying to get better at anyway.


Fun Facts: This is Vraska's second MTGinktober appearance. This is also the second time I've used the little pikapika sparkles, the first time being yesterday. I was worried today's composition might be too similar to this year's first piece, but ruled it unique enough to go forward. I knew I couldn't make the inking deadline when I suddenly got hit with an upset stomach and needed to take a break, after having already broken to eat after feeling faint, as I skipped food yesterday, and usually only eat after midnight's publishing deadline.


Easter Eggs: Oko's crown in the Treasure chest, the other chest is the one from the MPR full art Treasure Hunt. The Orzhov Treasure in the center. Inspired by Javier Domingquez's recent win at PT5, I included the Worlds trophy on the left. The background is Dragon's Hoard.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: