Saturday, October 30, 2021

FanArt_ink.SlitherCandle

MTGinktober slides to illuminate Day 30, "Slither Candle," starring Kaya, Ghost Assassin and Slitherhead!

I've been wanting to draw Kaya and a heavy shadow piece with a lot of negative space for a while, and we're just about done with this year's run, so it's kinda now or never.  Plus, in that spirit, I switched to my new ink, and it's unreal, day-and-night the difference...the ink I've been using hitherto has been so clunky and labored, but this new stuff--my old brand--is just insane.  You can go ridiculously fine, hatch and everything like a dream...ugh...maybe our series coulda been stronger this year if I'd just switched back earlier...

Fun Facts: This is Kaya's second MTGinktober appearance, oddly enough also with a lot of negative space from back in 2016...just for speed's sake, I filled in most of the solid black background this time with my magic wand, but I'll go back and fill it in manually for the record.

Easter Eggs:  My signature is hidden in her afro!  I love doing that.  The composition is loosely based on the classic Batman posing with him and Robin in front of a brick wall--I was originally going to go straight black, but at the last minute, I sketched in the wall, and am glad I did.

Reuxben

No comments: