Saturday, October 2, 2021

FanArt_ink.SuitMoon

MTGinktober dresses up and flashes Day 2 "Suit Moon," starring Davriel, Soul Broker and Blood Moon!

I knew almost immediately what to draw when I saw the initial sartorial prompt (with regrets we couldn't work Tamiyo in there)--since pretty much no one in the entirety of Magic wears a non-armor suit, if at all.  But rather than just draw Davriel looking suave, I randomly thought it'd be funny to have him reenact the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme. But after looking up reference, I realized the better Leonardo DiCaprio drinking meme would be the smug martini pose, holding what else but a stupid Blood Moon, presumably locking out his opponent in as arrogant a fashion as possible.

 
Fun Facts: I don't think I've ever seen a Leonardo DiCaprio movie except for The Departed (so I haven't even seen Django Unchained, just know the meme).  I can only ever think of him as the teenybopper heartthrob from Titanic, which triggered my instinctual apathy whenever he's in a movie, so its tough to take him seriously, though I gather he's a highly respected actor nowadays.  I don't watch many movies, so it's all really beyond me.  Anyway, this marks our first digital-exclusive card appearing in an MTGinktober--what a world.

Easter Eggs:  I went with the 8th Edition Blood Moon since it's the version I always think of (had no idea it was from The Dark until years later, since it has a white border, and people get annoyed by that for some reason, so it felt smugly in character--I imagine Davriel's got some kind of punisher/prison BR deck here...

Reuxben

No comments: