Sunday, October 31, 2021

FanArt_ink.RiskMidnight

MTGinktober chances and nods off to Day 31, "Risk Midnight," starring Olivia Voldaren and Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar

Well, that's a wrap for this year.  I drew everything in this small notebook that really limited the scope of each illustration and an experiment in forcing limitations upon this year, as traditionally, I get really stressed out and physically and mentally sapped every Inktober, so what did we learn?  I didn't like it.  As I suspected, I'd rather be miserable and making good work than comfortable and making weak stuff.  

 Even the joy in physical drawing was limited, especially having to cater to the Twitter crop--the penciled box in the middle third shows where it'll cut, and that forced every illustration to feel too similar.  And limiting my drawing time felt like we could bake in less per piece. As for using two prompt words rather than just one, I didn't like how on-the-nose most of the Magic ones were.  I like the official ones because they're open ended and you can have a decent leash.  So by metrics of inspiration, execution, and reception, this has really felt like a poor year.

Fun Facts:  I've been wanting to draw Olivia, and this was our last chance so we took it over a funner concept I had been wanting to draw for a while (an Akira spoof).  In any case, it looks like we're back-to-back years with a legendary vampire finale.

Easter Eggs: Of course the cat is upsetting a game of Risk, also owned by Magic's parent company, Hasbro, as I understand.

All right, that'll do it for this year, as always, I hope I got to a reasonable amount of favorite and pet creatures and cards, but feel free to message me with requests and we'll see if we can do a couple bonus pieces.

Reuxben

No comments: