Sunday, October 17, 2021

FanArt_ink.CollideTime

MTGinktober jams history into Day 17, "Collide Time," starring Hanna, Ship's Navigator and Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero!

I knew I wanted to reference My Chemical Romance with this one from the word "Collide" and making this such a throw-back all around, both Magic-wise and musically, would tie it into the temporal theme.  But this was absolutely such a joy to do, I loved mimicking Gerard Way's chunky style using just my ink set, and it felt like a little love letter to a band that I've held dear for many, many years, and to an artist I admire so much. 

Fun Facts: Oddly enough, Gerrard has only ever appeared as a part of musical references, the last one with Gorillaz.  Hanna's also only ever appeared with an external reference, too, that one being One Piece.  I'm committed to keeping these black and white, otherwise I would splashed in some red marker for the blood, but for the final, I chickened out and just left the background splatter.  I also try to limit digital editing, but the gag was too good not to help out a little, by clearing up some of the tighter lettering spots.

Easter Eggs: A bunch of neat ones--the fake band here is Mercadian Romance, since it looks and sounds like My Chemical Romance (though in retrospect, I shoulda combined the R of both words), and then the album name goes from Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge to Three Cheers for Squee's Revenge, referencing another Weatherlight member (initially, I was thinking Three Cheers for Sweet Rofellos).  Finally, the infamous Parental Advisory warning label gets a Planeswalker treatment.

Reuxben

No comments: