Monday, October 23, 2023

FanArt_ink.Celestial

MTGinktober twinkles into Day 23, "Celestial," starring Giada, Font of Hope; Yorion, Sky NomadFalling Star; and Shabraz, the Skyshark!

I legit had no idea what to do here even while starting to pencil it--I let the drawing sorta dictate what to do.  I even snapped a photo of the initial gesture to give an idea of what I was working with.  The trickiest thing was who to cast--I've been wanting to use Arden Angel to hit the Dreamcast set, but I want to up the difficulty/obscurity by using one that hasn't seen print yet, so that left us with a CovertGoBlue reference to Yorion and flying sharks, with angel-in-training Giada for actual celestial credibility.

Fun Facts:  This is everyone's debut, and Falling Star appears to be our first dexterity-banned card.

Here's what we were scrambling to cobble together our illustration with.  Fortunately it turned out OK, and we could take it a little lighter today to rest up.

Easter Eggs:  Yorion's pose and lower scaling is based on I Bask in Your Silent Awe, which knocks out one more Magic expression from our checklist before we've finally catch 'em alled.

Reuxben

No comments: