Sunday, October 8, 2023

FanArt_ink.Toad

MTGinktober hops into Day 8, "Toad," starring Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (Hannes's Secret Lair version) and The Gitrog Monster!

Oh, man, I was pumped to draw this one once I hit the concept of Thalia goofing around with famous toads from the major TCGs.  It started with wanting to draw Thalia hanging out with four Keroyon, who I used to use back in the day in a janky alternate-win deck that never won one.  But then I thought of her hanging with the arguably more infamous Toadally Awesome (I'm relaxing my boycott of that word, since it's the card name), and then since we almost had four toads, I searched for the toadiest of Pokémon.   

Fun Facts: This is personal favorite Thalia's fourth MTGinktober appearance, always a joy. This is my first time drawing Yu-Gi-Oh! fan art, but it's not our first Duel Masters fan art by a long shot.  YGO's 50-50, as early on it was an interesting change of pace, and I like poking in on how the game's coming along, but there's an arrogance/ignorance that emanates from it that's quite off-putting, chiefly the refusal to learn from Magic, its progenitor.  Duel Masters is always dear, though--I'll always love it, even if I've lamentably stepped away from it. 

Easter Eggs: As is tradition with Algen fan art, we hide a little "swooshy B" (ß) in there--this one is near the Gitrog's eyebrow.  Notably, this is not Thalia and The Gitrog Monster--this is OG Thalia, whose outfit is cooler, plus Gitrog from the team-up, since it has a little helmet.  The background comes from a combo of the Hannes Secret Lair version I just mentioned plus the Heron moon from Paraselene.  I believe that moon no longer exists in the lore right?  Well, who know, in any case, this is MTGinktober, and we make our own lore.  

Reuxben

No comments: