Sunday, October 29, 2023

FanArt_ink.Massive

MTGinktober goes big on Day 29, "Massive," starring (inhales deeply) Nahiri, the Harbinger; Sorin, Solemn Visitor; Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger Ugin, the Spirit Dragon; Emrakul, the Promised End; and Kozilek, the Great Distortion.

For this prompt, and since we're into the last few days, I wanted to do something a little special and draw the biggest illustration I've drawn yet for MTGinktober, using the whole of my artboard paper.  I was inspired to draw tiny Eldrazi as the gag by John Avon's tiny Emrakul, but then I considered scale differences, which lead me to my one of my absolute favorite images--that staredown between Frieza and Goku that contrasts their sizes so dramatically--but who could play those roles?  The Erikskids? Radha Radha?   The Three.

Fun Facts: This is over double the size of my regular Inktober sketchbook--at most, I'd divide this artboard in half when I used sheets from it a few years ago (it's a dream to draw on, though can bleed near the edges). The scan's so big, it chopped off Ulamog, so I had to scan it in parts and stitch it!  The last time these PWs came together was also a DBZ spoof, oddly enough, but personal favorite Nahiri makes her sixth MTGinktober appearance, as she is always fun to draw.  Sori and Ugin are two-timers, but surprisingly Emrakul has shown up three and a half times now.

Special note--sadly, I cut my other super sweet idea--a send up of For Whom Doth the Game be Good, Sir, I Ask You This?, which woulda been perfect--crazily niche, involving a recently previewed card and even the streamer's name is huge.

Easter Eggs: Beyond the size difference between the main two, we had to goof further by having tiny Eldrazi titans in the background, plus Ugin to complete the callback.  Ugin is prepping a kamehameha and Ulamog is playing all three moves in Janken.  Cheater.  There's also Flying Nimbus in the upper right corner since we're drawing DBZ clouds.

Reuxben

No comments: