Friday, October 9, 2020

FanArt_ink.Throw

 
MTGinktober lobs into Day 9, "Throw," starring Tinybones, Trinket Thief and Lutri, the Spellchaser!

 
This was certainly an enjoyable one to draw, just a couple cutesy characters playing around, but as for the actual drawing itself--my mild hand and back pain are growing more noticeable, though a lot less pronounced than in recent years, I just gotta be sure to take it easy and I'm confident we can manage through the rest of the month--almost halfway there.

 
I was kinda stressing out because it was like 4 or 5pm and I was feeling behind schedule when someone said I have a midnight deadline, so relax.  This is a fundamental misunderstanding about art and me: I draw really slowly--which is bad enough--but as I mentioned, I need to factor in time to rest my hand and back as well as any impromptu reference hunting as situations arise (like this piece's background!).  So while drawing takes forever, inking usually takes about 2 hours tops, then I need to scan and prep the file (about an hour), then post it!


Fun Facts: The page we cleared for this illustration is another thumbnail for that MTG comic I'll probably never draw--see previous days for other entries from this mystery project.  This illustration was a nice return to the oddly pleasing task of drawing otters.

 
Easter Eggs: As I mentioned, I suddenly thought to have a specific background rather than just a generic beach--it's where a B and U/R creature might meet: Zagoth Triome.  And the spell they're batting about is of course, One With Nothing, which would not make sense for Tinybones to cast or Lutri to clone, but here we are.  Sig is in the grass near tiny feet.
 
Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: